Health and Happiness

5 Ways To Feel Better Now

I am always looking for ways to improve myself.  I want to be healthier and happier and I am constantly striving toward making better decisions when it comes to food, drink and exercise.  I have compiled the list below of five things I do to help myself feel better when I’m having a not so great day.

  1. Drink Water.  I read an article on that says you should drink half your body weight in oz. of water per day.  Whenever I am feeling kind of sluggish, I will drink a bunch of water instead of reaching for a caffeinated drink and I always feel better. Most of the time when you are tired, it is because you are dehydrated.
  2. Go for a Walk.  Sometimes just getting out and getting some fresh air can clear your head and reset your system.  When I am having a tough day at work, I will go for a walk on my lunch hour to clear my head.  I try not to think about work while I am out.  Instead I pay attention to the sights and sounds and beauty around me and try to spend the hour practicing gratitude for all the good things in my life.
  3. Write.  I am a big fan of writing in a journal.  Sometimes we are dealing with things in our life and it is hard not to talk about it to anyone who will listen.  I have learned the hard way that discussing your feelings or your current situation with anyone who will listen is not always the greatest idea.  There is a saying that says “Don’t tell your problems to people.  80% don’t care and the other 20% are glad you have them.”  Writing in a journal allows you to get your feelings out of your head and can help you clear your mind and take a different look at the situation.  I have an online journal at  It is password protected and completely secure.  You don’t have to worry about leaving it lying around for someone else to find!   If you still feel the need to talk to someone, choose a person you trust and who you know has your best interests at heart.
  4. Practice Patience and Gratitude.  There is an immense power in positive thinking.  I used to be a glass half empty person.  I would always wonder why things didn’t go my way or why I always felt stuck and sad.  That was the old me.  I think the motto for my life is this: “If you wake up and tell yourself it’s going to be a bad day, it’s probably going to be a bad day.  If you wake up and tell yourself it’s going to be a great day, your chances of having a great day go way up!”  It’s so true.  Look around you.  Tell yourself 10 things that you are thankful for right in this very moment.  After you do that you will see there are good things in your life.  If there is something you want or are striving for, have patience and trust the Universe.  Everything will fall into place at the exact right time.
  5. Do Some Food Prep.  I don’t know about you, but I truly believe you are what you eat.  I recently started doing a little food prep (you can ready my article here on how to get started) and it has made a big difference for me.  This may not be an instant way to feel better, especially if you don’t have any food in your house, but you can start by making a plan.  Make a list of healthy foods you will want to eat, get to the store and get started.  This is an activity I like to do with my daughter.  We spend quality time together and she learns about eating healthy food.  It ensures we always have easy, healthy options to grab if we are in a rush.  I feel better knowing I can grab a bag of vegetables or some fruit to snack on instead of a bag of chips or cookies!

Everyone has days when they are feeling less than fabulous, but I hope you can find some relief in the tips I’ve shared.  Please post your comments below on things you like to do to feel better when you having a not so great day.  Just remember to keep going!  You have it in you to create a life you want to jump out of bed and live fully every day:)